Thursday, August 30, 2012

Lanterns and Rocks

Stained-Glass Lantern at Disneyland

Hey there! I spent the last week in California and had a great time. It was primarily to visit friends, but it's impossible for me to not partake in at least a little art. So I thought I'd talk a little about the stuff I saw in California.

Lantern and bougainvilleas.
Firstly I went to Disneyland with a friend. Growing up at Disneyland made for an interesting childhood and even as an adult I find I still discover new things when I go. At Ranchodel Zocalo Restaurante you can find your lunch, but I enjoy eating there more for the atmosphere. The Mexican food restaurant is designed to look like a villa or bungalo that could be found in Mexico or California in days past. This quaint (I'm sure how I feel about using that word) bougainvillea-covered eating area is decorated with glass lanterns and beautiful tile work. I have stood in front of the door way for at least 15 minutes before, just admiring the stained-glass entryway. Even if you decide to eat somewhere else, but you love glass and tile work you should stop in to just look.

Levitated Mass

I also stopped by for a quick trip to LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art) to view and experience the work entitled Levitated Mass. The piece consists of two main features: a walk way and a giant rock. Now it doesn't seem much but we're talking a GIANT rock. The rock was located in Riverside and was shipped into LA for the exhibit. A piece over 3 decades in the making. So I have a question for you and it's mostly about modern art. Do you think this rock is art? How is it art? Is it art because you can experience it or relate to it in some way? What do you think the statement is here? I wont go into what I think, but I would like a discussion on it. Even in ceramics and glass we face the same questions. What do you try and make your pieces say?  Or are the just something pretty to look at?

The view from above the walkway.

If you're interested in tile or glass work check out some of these things: