Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Crystals and Glaze


A few years ago I was at a arts and crafts fair and came across a man with these beautifully glazed pieces. I can not remember his name, but I am pretty sure that man was William Melstrom. He is well known for his crystalline glazes and if you've seen his work you'd know why. His pieces are stunning to look at and although you might just want to hang them on a wall they are also functional. Melstrom has spent years perfecting this technique and it really shows. You can see Melstrom's website here.

It also shows that ceramics is at least two different beasts. One beast is with clay and getting it into the shape you want. The second is far more terrifying: glazing. Glazing was never really my strong suit. In fact I remember when a professor in college told me that I really needed to work on glazing. I remember thinking, “Well it would be nice if I could first get the clay into the shape I want it first.” That was years ago no, I think my point has been made about the beasts of the ceramic world.

Glazes to create crystal effects has become increasingly more popular and although they will not give you results like Melstrom's, there are commercial crystal glazes. Some of the more known crystal glazes are from Mayco and Amaco. These glazes usually come in liquid form and have crystal chunks in them.  They need to be stirred well since the crystals usually sink to the bottom.  They can either be dipped or brushed onto bisqueware.  These crystal glazes provide unique color variations that can be quite intense at times. All crystal glazes are low-fire glazes and are an easy way to give your pieces a little splash of contrast. My favorites are:  
30 Singed Maple Crystaltex Pt
Singed Maple Crystaltex
Mayco S-2703 Berryberry Pie 4o
Berryberry Pie Crystalites
Mayco CG-786 Obsidian 4 oz   
Obsidian Jungle Gem Glaze